Time Management

Today, I had the privilege of chatting with Felicia from the No Job For Mom site. She is my go-to source for information when something in this whole freelance writing world causes confusion. Thanks Felicia!

Recently, my need for a steady income to support my family and my 2011 goal of getting out of debt has caused me to write around the clock. The pay is well worth it but my sanity and my sleep are suffering the consequences. Along with writing for direct pay income, I am still attempting to write several passive income articles per week as well as maintain & advance all three of my own sites. Can anyone say writing overload?

One of the benefits of leaving a traditional 9-5 job was the fact that I could work in my pajamas, with my family by my side while making & controlling my own hours. I thought, I might be one of those individuals that require a set in stone schedule to accomplish their goals and still have time for other obligations, family, friends, and sleep, sleep, rest & sleep. Maybe I was trying to cram too many goals into small amounts of time. Maybe I was even effecting the quality of my work, in order to produce quantity and income.

It is time I reevaluated myself, my goals, my time & my expectations. I love to write and am lucky to be able to do it for a decent living. But on the down side, how long til I am so completely burnt out on writing topics other people request that I lose the passion to write the way I want to, about the things I want?

My final decision is that I will not think I can rid my family of our debt in 1 year when it took us 11 years to obtain the debt in the first place. I will not focus 90% of my writing time on active income, instead I will be splitting it 50/50 with passive income. I will give myself weekly goals based on the amount of needed income for the upcoming week with 15% focused on debt relief. I will also plan ahead my blog posts and passive income articles, focusing a few hours a week. Then my weekly goals will be broken down into daily goals, five days per week. I spoke once before about my writing schedule, which went haywire recently. Its time to try a different tactic.

No more working nonstop just to make large amount of income. The bottom line is I will only get compensated once for active income content while my income will only increase over time with passive content. Setting weekly goals, instead of a set in stone schedule, offers a much more comfortable, self reliant pace. And as I mark each goal off my list for the day, I can experience the same sense of accomplishment that I felt in the very beginning of my writing career.

Til next time...<3 Missie <3

2 comments:

  1. Missie,
    You are absolutely correct. It is so tempting to write for up front when you need the money NOW. But all the people I have talked to and have gotten to know can't be wrong about passive income. It will come. It will come slowly but it will come. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see daily increases in my review income which always makes me want to produce even more. Unfortunately, I spend about 4 days per week working on active income and 1-2 per week on passive because I must support my family but my overall goal is a steady, good income from review based articles. Since my 'job' doesn't offer 401k (lol), my retirement plan is a monthly, livable income from all of my review work. :-)

    ReplyDelete